Malawi Blog 18 januari 2016

Monday 18-01-2016

 

7.30-10.00

We started the day with a presentation about the ‘Trisul’ medicine: TMP/S. We brought this medicine from Alphamedics this weekend. We wanted to add this medicine to our list because we didn’t have a medicine for chickens so far. We have chosen for this medicine because it will cause less resistance than other antibiotics drugs we saw in the shop.  We explained to the participants for which indications they can use this drug. They can also use it in other animals, but not in ruminating animals because it will top the rumination. It seemed that they understood that. We also explained to them how they can dilute it in water.

We discussed a case about African Swine Fever and what they can do as prevention.

10.15-12.00

The next subject was; ‘How to make profit’. We discussed that it is not only the medicines, where they have to ask money for, but also their knowledge/advice, their transport and materials like needles and syringes, or for example a blade for castration or hoof trimming.

We discussed about what prices it will be if you count all these things. We came to the following:

Blade for castration 20 mk
Penicillin for castration 300-450 mk
Syringe + needle 200 mk
Examination + transport 100 mk

13.15-15.00

Practical lesson: examination of the chicken. We went down to the house of Joseph and caught some chickens. We did two rounds of clinical examination so that every participant did the examination once. As the examination of the chicken is quite different from other animals, we helped them in the beginning. The participants directly mentioned that one of the chickens was not healthy. We took the chicken to discuss the signs in the classroom.

15.15-16.30

We made a problem list about the symptoms of the chicken (which were quite a lot). We concluded that the chicken had a digestion, respiration and locomotion problem. This was a very good lesson for the participants because they really had to do the interpretation of their own examination findings now. We also made already a plan so that they could explain it when Joseph should arrive. Masida was very sure that this chicken had worms, so we decided to deworm it. But the worms could never explain all these symptoms. We explained them that in a case of a chicken, sometimes it is just more economic to kill the chicken (and not eat it) instead of treating it. The participants didn’t really like this plan so they wanted to keep on trying to treat this chicken. Joseph came to the meeting room to answer the questions from the participants about the history. It was very nice to have Joseph as a client, because the participants could practice in a safe environment with a real case.  The participants did the history questions together, after this Steven came to present the symptoms of the chicken. He started with; Your chicken looks very very fine, but..’ We were sure that he remembered from last course that he always had to start with something positive. In this case the chicken was not fine at all, but it was still very fun to see him trying to do the best. Joseph was not afraid to lose money on his chicken, s o we decided to start to treat him with oral Ivermectin today and then the next three days with Trisul. We added that if the chicken should not improve, it still might be better to stop after some days.